The ancient Japanese healing method known as Jin Shin Jyutsu is based around the belief that each of our fingers is connected to two organs in our bodies. By massaging and stimulating certain points in the hand, emotions, feelings and health issues can be balanced and treated – with results in as little as 5 minutes!
This ancient teaching believes that by firmly holding and massaging a finger on one hand, a certain healing power can be felt in a particular organ that it is linked to. Whilst breathing slowly and deeply, in a calm, peaceful environment, you should firmly hold and massage each finger individually for around 3-5 minutes each day, or whenever you see fit. The process is very meditative and you will begin to feel the effects in as little as 5 minutes.
Whether it is emotional pain, physical illness or disease, Jin Shin Jyutsu has a capacity to target most ailments – both physical and mental. It is considered to be an all round body healer and can be practised every day taking 5 minutes out of a busy day and devoting it to your health. Here’s a run down of all the fingers and the individual connections they have with our mind and body:
- Thumb – Known to be connected with both the stomach and the spleen and stimulation can be used to treat headaches, anxiety and depression, skin conditions such as psoriasis and digestive pain.
- Index Finger – Has a connection to the bladder and kidneys and stimulation treats symptoms of toothache, back pain, fear, discontent and muscular pain.
- Middle Finger – Connected to the liver and regular stimulation has been shown to prevent migraines, menstrual pain, high blood pressure and irritability.
- RingFinger – Shares a connection with the lungs and the large intestine and Jin Shin Jyutsu techniques have been used to treat asthma and respiratory conditions, pessimism, skin conditions and symptoms of depression.
- Pinky – Connected to the heart and the small intestine, stimulating the pinky has been proven to lower cholesterol, calm anxiety, treat bone conditions and even lower the chance of suffering a stroke or heart attack.
So for 5 minutes a day and a little bit of reading it is truly possible to heal ourselves and connect our mind, body and soul. We are incredible organisms and the abilities that we possess are truly endless.